Hibiscus is a beautiful flower that not only looks good on the hair but also nourishes it. It is one of the best things you can apply on hair and is available freely in nature. Or at very little cost! It has been recommended through the ages by Ayurvedic and Chinese systems.
The flower is the natural source of alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA) and amino acids. It also has a high vitamin and mineral content.
1. Premature greying is delayed:Hibiscus comes with antioxidants and vitamins. These help to produce melanin, which delays greying of hair.
2. Manageable hair: The flower has the capacity to store water, which is intensely hydrating. It helps in softening hair and easier detangling.
3. Rehydrates dry hair: Helps dry hair caused by excessive heat or chemicals used on hair.
4. Prevents hair breakage: The amino acids add strength and elasticity to the hair.
5. Cures problems: It cures dandruff, scalp acne and itchiness and controls frizz. It maintains the pH balance of the hair.
How to use hibiscus on hair
Blend together a fresh hibiscus flower with curry leaves, neem leaves, onion and methi seeds soaked overnight. Apply it on the scalp, and from hair roots to ends. Keep it on for 1 hour and wash it with a mild shampoo. Apply conditioner.
The columnist creates a range of hairstyles at Ishrat’s Hair & Skin Studio, Lord Sinha Road, Calcutta. Contact: @ishratansar